I recently went to visit the Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale (HMR) children’s community nurses based at Callaghan House in Heywood.
For background, the nurses are part of our HMR Children’s Acute and Ongoing Needs Service, which was launched in September last year to bring together a range of community services for children and young people and make them accessible through a single point of access (SPOA).
During my visit, I was keen to see how the team was finding the new service arrangement. I was pleased to hear that the bringing together of the children’s specialisms in the borough is working well and seems to have improved access to support through the one telephone number.
I also wanted to find out about the team’s experience of mobile working. The children’s community nurses were one of our pilot teams for adopting mobile working and PARIS – our electronic patient record – and it’s proved very successful. Lisa Hufton, the service lead for the Children’s Acute and Ongoing Needs Service, is a real advocate of the system and of the new mobile devices the team are using to allow them to update electronic records while they are out on visits.
We have to acknowledge that the implementation of PARIS across the Trust so far has not been without its challenges so it’s positive to hear from a team who have adopted it successfully and are seeing real results. We’re at a stage where around 25% of the Trust is using PARIS and further support is needed to continue the roll out to the remaining 75%.
We’ve invited Lisa to attend an upcoming session with the Board to demonstrate how PARIS and mobile working has worked for her team, share some of the obstacles they faced, and join the discussions about the investment needed to complete the roll out.
Another highlight of the visit was learning of the partnership work the nurses are doing with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS). It involves the staff referring families to GMFRS if they may benefit from health and wellbeing checks which include fire safety advice and accident prevention. The partnership works both ways, with GMFRS contacting Pennine Care if they come across any families who may benefit from health support. I know this is happening in other service areas but I’m keen to see if happening consistently across the Trust so have put Lisa in touch with our Fire Safety Manager to share this best practice.
I just want to thank Lisa and her team for giving up their time to meet with me and for sharing their experiences.
The exec team will be conducting more visits around the trust on a regular basis and will share updates with staff via the blog.
Martin Roe, Chief Executive (Acting)