Friday 14 May 2021

Nature is a thousand miracles

I recently went climbing for the first time in 18 months and felt absolutely terrified.

My husband and I went up to the Lake District for a short break and met up with some friends during the day to do some climbing and cycling. Even the most friendly rock routes seemed so steep and scary! I felt like an unconfident novice, totally overwhelmed with little recollection of how to move on rock. 

The pandemic has infiltrated every part of our lives, so it’s probably no surprise that I was a bag of nerves. But we tried to stay relaxed and took it very easy and gradually it started coming back to me and I was up and away.

It began to feel familiar again, and with the fresh air filling my lungs and the sun beating down on my face (we were so lucky to have great weather), I realised how much I had missed it. When I climb, the magic of nature takes over and the heaviness of life lifts.

I returned home energised, feeling so much better with the world in general, and grateful.

Covid has made so many more of us aware of how much we need nature, and that’s why it just had to be this year’s theme for Mental Health Awareness Week. We need nature to stay mentally well at the best of times, and still more in the worst of times.

I have many happy outdoor places, finding so much joy just being out in the open air, and I’ve loved seeing your posts about how nature helps your wellbeing as part of the mental health awareness week promotion.

Nature soothes us, rejuvenates us, inspires us. It nourishes the soul.

You’ll know better than me all the research showing its power in helping to reduce anxiety and stress, improve mood, raise self-esteem, and improve well-being. 

Nature is a thousand miracles. It's a wonderful feeling to push even a tiny piece of the planet down beneath your feet. Just imagine if the stars appeared in the sky only one night every decade, oh how we would marvel in awe. 

Touching mountain rocks that are millions of years old brings such perspective; they are earth’s everlasting monuments. It can make any problems I may have suddenly seem smaller.

I felt at times during lockdown that I would never get back to climbing, as it’s easy to think something might never happen when it’s delayed, paused and then postponed again. It becomes a bit unimaginable.

It has felt a bit like that with Paris, our electronic patient record programme! We’ve been talking about it for so long, with the go live date for the third cohort being pushed back several times. 

But it’s absolutely happening in just over a week on 24 May. An incredible amount of preparatory work has been taking place with 142 Paris champions now in place, and I want to thank everyone who is working tirelessly in preparation on this significant work.

So, in the same way I dusted off my helmet and harness and got ready for my climb, it’s essential you are all as ready as you can be and ensure you have the training and get familiar with the system.

The big difference is that Paris isn’t a mountain you need to metaphorically climb; it will hopefully transform your working lives for the better, bringing a host of benefits to clinical teams and patients. That includes being able to access up-to-date, accurate and complete information about patients all in one place. It should give you more time to focus on patient care, which is what all our work is ultimately about.

Its success will depend on all our clinicians and professions using it and helping us make it better. And no more so, than our largest staff group - nurses – you have an essential role in ensuring its successful implementation. I know you’ll rise to the challenge, just as you always do. And it was brilliant to have the opportunity to recognise, thank and applaud nurses this Wednesday for International Nurses Day. 

Your dedication, skill and compassion throughout the pandemic has been truly phenomenal, from caring selflessly for patients to delivering a successful vaccine programme to colleagues. 

You have climbed your own challenging mountain and reached the very top. We salute you.

Best wishes,

Claire

You can follow me on Twitter @ClaireMolloy2

No comments:

Post a Comment